Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Do I like being a Working MOM or Stay-at-Home MOM?

I am not sure which one I like to be- a working mom or a Stay-at-Home mom.  I know I can be both anytime when situations arises. We women are strong.... aren't we... :)))

I have to admit that I was lucky to have a good set of colleagues and managers where I was working, who understood the need of a working mom. But still sometimes I did face problems.

Few of the things I faced as a working mom:
  • Taking early lunch breaks, rushing to my kid's school to attend a function,  staying for 15 min, waving at him, looking at my watch and rushing back to reach office before lunch break is over.
  • Not able to participate in my kid's class activities. Felt sad every time he asked me "Mamma why you never participate in my class activity like other mommies."
  • Sending my kid to before and after school programs even when he was sick :( 
  • Not able to pick him up at the front gate after school is over, the way he always wanted.
  • Avoiding taking leaves when I am sick, so I can take one when needed for my kid.
  • Trying to rush so that I can pick my kid from after-school a little early and feel good about it.
  • Negotiating with my husband to see if he can take a day off, half day or work from home instead.
  • Not able to put my kid in other activities on weekdays. Feeling sad when other stay-at-home moms talk about it.  Its a human nature... I think. You want to do the same for your kid.
  • To think how good it would to be a stay-at-home mommy.
  • Sometimes had to finish office work at home and not able to give time to my kid.
  • Somedays I have tried to be super mom and have failed badly.

One thing that kept going and made me feel I am not doing anything wrong, is whenever my kid hugged me and said "I love you mom" and that I am the best. Well ... I will not lie...I had to sometimes.. I mean most of the time.. had to buy him a toy to hear it. So what...I know he will understand me someday.

Will I be a good Stay-at-Home mom?

With a new addition to the family on the way, I know I will be staying at home for a while to take care of him/her.  I know that its also not easy to be a Stay-at-Home mommy. It has its own sets of emotions.

When I took a career break 6 years back for a year to take care of my kid. Everything was nice for few months. I loved cooking (trying to be the perfect house wife... hope my husband remembers :) ) and taking care of my kid, taking him to park every day.

After few months, I wanted to go back to work. I wanted to be independent, to contribute to family earning and feel good about it.

So, do I like being a working mom or stay-at-home mom? My mom was a stay-at-home Mommy always and she was always happy and content. Then why I can't feel the same.  Maybe because I have the taste of both sides or maybe at her time there were less working moms around to feel the need to work.

I hope this time around it will be different, only time will tell...lets see :)

Share with us in the comments below if you felt the same or different, how did you handle the situations...etc. Thank you.

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful Jhimli. I agree with you and in my opinion we should be happy as what we are as with time women have to adjust but in long run what gives us happiness and peace from within wins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Sunita :) I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats... nice blog.. bhal lagil. I feel that you are telling my story only.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one Jhimli!.. loved reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks Papori and Debjani. Glad that you liked this article.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice say Jhimli ... do keep posting .. u are reprsenting all of us . And a great Congrats too.

    ReplyDelete